Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Eastern Backhand Explained

When most of us started playing tennis, we were too busy leaning a new skill to worry about the names of the strokes involved. When a friend of mine said that I should be using the Eastern backhand, I had no idea what he was talking about. After some asking around, I found out that since I already use the one-handed backhand and I'm using the Eastern grip, I'm already using the Eastern backhand. This Eastern grip that they talk about is the same grip that I use for my forehand, so I guess I'm in luck. If I had been using the two-handed backhand, my friends probably would have shown me a different grip. Anyway, it turns out that if you are using this Eastern grip, then you are doing the Eastern backhand. In the next two paragraphs a couple of ways to make this Eastern grip.





From now on, all descriptions will assume that you are a right hander. If you are a left hander, just make the appropriate substitutions. Perhaps the easiest way to make the Eastern grip is by what is called the "shake hands method". To make this grip, hold the tennis racquet in front of you with the left hand. At this point, the face of the racquet should be perpendicular to the ground with the handle pointing towards your waist. Wrap your right hand around the face of the racquet with your thumb touching the strings on one side and your fingers touching the strings on the other side. Slide your right hand down as far as it will go on the handle. It will appear that you are shaking hands with your racquet, hence the name, "shaking hands method".



The second method that I want talk about is also very simple. Hold the racquet in your left hand just like in the "shake hands method", but instead of sliding your right hand down to the handle; grab the handle with your right hand. The "V" between your thumb and forefinger should be centered on the top bevel of the handle. Now you have the Eastern grip.



I know that a lot of people would rather watch demonstrations of a skill than read about it, so I've made a website where I sell links to tennis backhand videos. It's called, "Tennis Backhand Videos". I also have a Squidoo site about the Eastern backhand. It's called, "The Eastern Backhand Grip". My Squidoo lens has a couple of videos that demonstrate both how to make the grip and use to use your backhand..

No comments:

Post a Comment